POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : #declares and memory management : Re: #declares and memory management Server Time
18 Aug 2024 16:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #declares and memory management
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 May 2001 07:55:25
Message: <3B0E4863.4D55F28E@gmx.de>
"Tony[B]" wrote:

> I'll learn. :) Just let me get started somewhere... It almost sounds to me
> like Warp is saying I just can't do this... or like I need years and years
> to do it... Can't I at least get in the swing in a few months? I won't do
> any magic, but I'll do something. That's what I mean to do. I just want to
> help.

Just my not so important opinion:

I think the best way to learn how the povray source code works is to deal
with it, you even don't have to actually write a patch, just analyzing
things and studying previously made patches can give great insights.

The first attempts to writing patches will probably always be quite clumsy
and for someone else who wants to extend them or incorporate them into his
own patch it will probably often be easier to just rewrite it from scratch
(that's about how i would judge my own attempts in that direction too).
NTL, you will learn a lot, have (more or less :) fun and possibly help to
introduce some nice new features into POV - what do you want more?

So just get the source code, a good Editor, some good C programming
reference/book and give it a try...

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>